|Subject:||Email Challenge Response|
|Creation date:||12/14/15 4:35 PM|
|Last modified on:||8/15/18 2:33 PM|
Challenge/Response filtering, also known as auto-white-listing,
or permission based email is increasingly popular and controversial mechanism to prevent spam.
Though it can be extremely effective, it has drawbacks.
Consider the following scenario
that explains this mechanism.
- Bob sends an email
message to Mary
- Mary's email server accepts the message but before transferring it to her Inbox, the server sends a message back to Bob, confirming if he actually sent a message. Bob must reply to this automatically generated message which confirms his original message.
- Since spammers almost always either forge the sender or send from invalid address. Therefore, Mary will never get the message is someone else pretends to be Bob.
Enabling Challenge/Response in Xeams
Follow the steps below to enable Challenge/Response in Xeams.
- Log in to Admin Console
- Click Server Configuration
- Select the Challenge Response tab
- Check Enable Challenge Response, specify an email for processing and a threshold value. Check the help in Admin Console for the exact description of each field.
- Click the Save button
Disadvantages of using Challenge/Response
- It is considered rude by many users
- It is not a viable option if you receive emails from unknown individuals, such as potential clients
- Slows down email delivery
- Will never work if both parties use a Challenge/Response system
Customizing Challenge Email
The template for the email message sent during challenge/response comes from
. Modify the contents of this file to
change the text for this email.
Add a comment to this document
Do you have a helpful tip related to this document that you'd like to share
with other users? Please add it below. Your name and tip will appear at the
end of the document text.