Product » Xeams » Knowledge Base
|Subject:||Switching from Smtp Proxy to regular Smtp Server|
|Creation date:||12/14/15 4:35 PM|
|Last modified on:||8/13/18 12:06 PM|
Switching from SMTP Proxy server to the SMTP Server
Important! SMTP Proxy Server will be deprecated in Xeams by end of 2018. It is strongly recommended users switch from SMTP Proxy Server to the Regular SMTP Server in Xeams.
This article talks about the steps as well as advantages and disadvantages of switching from SMTP Proxy Server to the Regular SMTP Server.
SMTP Proxy is typically used in
mode. It is not used in Stand-alone
Pros and Cons of SMTP Proxy Server
- Less configuration. No need to specify local domains. The acceptance/rejection of any incoming
email is delegated to the downstream server.
Refer to this page for detail differences between Proxy and Regular SMTP.
- SMTP Proxy is less secure. Malicious users on the Internet can send commands to your downstream server through Xeams. For example,
they can send the AUTH command, which is used to authenticate users. Using brute force, someone can crack a userid/password on your downstream
- Xeams will go down if the downstream server goes down
Steps to switch
- Connect to the Admin Console
- Click the Configure link for SMTP Proxy. Click here for a screen shot
- Modify the SMTP proxy port from 25 to a different value, such as 2500. Optionally, you can also disable the SMTP Proxy completely. However, we recommend that you do not disable the proxy server, which may come handy for testing purposes.
- Click the Save button
- Now click the Configure link for the normal SMTP server. Click here for a screen shot.
- Click the Domain Configuration tab.
- Add domains belonging to your company. Put the internal IP address of your actual server in the field.
This must be done for every domain you have.
- Click on the Basic Configuration tab
- Enable the server if needed and change the port to 25.
- Run Diagnostic Check - Inbound under Tools to ensure every check passes.
Troubleshooting common problems
If for any reason the SMTP server does not listen on the port 25, try:
- Disabling/Enabling the server again
- Check Xeams.log file for any errors. Click Tools/View Logs on the main menu to see the log file.
Add a comment to this document
Do you have a helpful tip related to this document that you'd like to share
with other users? Please add it below. Your name and tip will appear at the
end of the document text.